Monday, August 31, 2009

The Origin of ClydeFrog!

I am constantly having to tell people "No, I did not get my name from South Park!"

I came up with the name from an old children's safety program which I believe was actually called "The Clyde Frog Show"

I recently found a video on YouTube that has a small clip showing a scene or two from the show. There is no audio, but the video is priceless proof of the origins. I am fairly certain that this is where South Park got this from as well, but I have been using it for years before that show came around.


(Skip to about 40 seconds in)

6 comments:

  1. I am a child of the 1970s and I can back you up on this--it was a real PBS Show, it is listed in wikipedia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can confirm as well. I used to catch it on sick days from school. The main things I remember about it was that Clyde (and his frog family) loved peanut butter soup. The theme was on a trombone or trumpet and seemed sad to me at the time. The only other episode I recall had Clyde standing up on the school bus shouting "Rules are for fools!" and then the bus crashes. I would love to see that again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was beginning to wonder if I made this show up. Nobody I ask has ever heard of it, but I can remember watching it. So glad to finally see a piece of it and have it confirmed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a fan of the show also. Several years ago I e-mailed Mississippi ETV and actually bought the series on VHS tapes. The bus episode is definitely my favorite!

    ReplyDelete